Tag Archives: Practice

The Chan Whip Anthology: A Companion to Zen Practice

Jeffrey L. Broughton’s new anthology looks like a real gem; from his intro:

“Zhuhong published the Chan Whip in 1600, the late Ming dynasty. However, to characterize the Chan Whip as simply “late Ming Chan” would be grossly inaccurate. It surveys most of the history of Chan literature, not just that of the late Ming, as it is a compendium of extracts, over 80% of which are drawn from the enormous Chan corpus dating from the Tang dynasty (ninth century) to the late Ming. The remaining 20 percent or so consists of extracts from sutras and treatises. The Chan Whip was conceived by Zhuhong as a portable, convenient, no-nonsense “pocket companion guide” that addressed practitioners directly, providing not just method but morale. As such, its selections deliberately eschew abstract discussions of theory in favor of sermons, exhortations, sayings, autobiographical narratives, letters, and anecdotal sketches dealing frankly—and encouragingly—with the concrete ups and downs of lived practice.” read more

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Practice Makes Perfect


To practice is hard 

“Even among those in the assembly now who acknowledge what I say, there are some who merely teach the Unborn with their mouths and don’t continually abide in the Unborn, people who only know about the Unborn, people of merely intellectual understanding. From the standpoint of the Unborn, intellectual understanding too is empty speculation, so you can’t say such a person has conclusively realized the Unborn. When you come right down to it, this kind of approach is worthless. Even if you teach others about the Unborn, they won’t realize it. read more

Posted in Bankei Zen, Zen | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment